Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: I haven't spoken to police after my boyfriend told them I hit him. Can they issue a warrant for my arrest?

He pushed me first then I did then he kicked me right above my knee left bruising then he tripped n fell. He got up n left saying I hit him. He would get in trouble if I was to tell my side like it happened he has 2 felonies n 2dv charges on his record. I have a 1 case underlyning dv. But even after boyfriend told officer he fell officer said he couldn't change the report n since I haven't talked to them he was going to turn report in n wait for warrant. But as of last night I don't have one.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you are asking whether the police can arrest you only because you are not speaking to them, the answer is no. They have to have probable cause to suspect you of a crime to arrest you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.