Moultrie, GA asked in Adoption for Georgia

Q: I am a teacher in GA. I want to adopt a student. How can I get the "father" to sign over custody?

Dad supposedly had DNA test done and is not the real father. Mother is out of the picture. Dad has been basically trying to get DFCS to take him for years now. But for some reason Dad told the judge on Monday he would keep him for now. This child has some major childhood trauma and Dad keeps pouring it on.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: That sounds like a terrible situation for the child. It sounds like your case may be in juvenile Court. We would need more information to be able to assist you in moving forward. If the father won't surrender his rights, you may have grounds to ask the Court to terminate his parental rights. Those cases are difficult and pretty intricate, but definitely something that we can handle in our practice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.