Greensburg, PA asked in Civil Litigation for Pennsylvania

Q: I need to know if I can sue for emotional distress with a small claims lawsuit.

My ex and I split up and there were pfas involved. He had all of my belongings in his house as I had lived with him. He finally put my things in a storage unit but only gave back what he wanted to give. I am opening a small claims law suit and have receipts for almost everything except for what was given as gifts to me. I have started therapy due to the stress of having to start over and buy things that I’ve already bought. I need to know if I can add into the lawsuit emotional distress to the lawsuit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You can seek emotional distress damages, however you must be able to prove it and show that it is a recoverable damage. Seeking emotional distress damages based on having to start over and buy things that you already bought may not legally be a recoverable damage and/or a a cause of action. You may want to consult a lawyer in your area/jurisdiction, present your facts and see if she can suggest a more viable cause of action and recoverable damages. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.