Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: How long does my ex have to get his stuff after a protection order is in place? I need to find a new roommate.

Cops said it will most likely be a permanent protection order and I believe he is still paying rent to store his stuff here but he isn't coming back and I want the clutter gone so we can find a new roommate. He's been in another state for a month coming back for a day or two then leaving again prior to this. He hasn't been officially charged yet.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. There is no time specified by the law for him to remove belongings from his home. Particularly if he is on the lease, he is not legally obligated to remove his belongings. If this is a criminal protection order, it will be in place until the criminal proceedings are resolved. You can have someone attempt to coordinate with him to pick up his belongings or place them in storage at your expense if he will not pick them up. If you are married and file for dissolution, the issue of the personal property will be resolved in the dissolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.