Valparaiso, IN asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Indiana

Q: What recourse can I have if a medicine was defective: contained less than the correct amount of active ingredient?

I am prescribed a blood thinner with refills every 3 months. The drug came from different generic drug manufacturers with each refill. I have reasons to believe that one of them had less than the correct amount of active ingredient putting my life in danger (though I don't know if any harm happened). I saved some pills from that batch. Is it possible to test them for the active ingredients? What can be done if indeed the product was defective?


Thank you for the response already posted. To clarify, without going into confidential details, it is not clear if harm happened or not. It is possible that the healing process was compromised if indeed the drug did not contain sufficient active ingredient. But independent of any harm, if one discovers that the pill does not contain the required ingredient is there no recourse possible with the manufacturer? I want at least to know so that I can have a reason to order further medical investigation to see if harm happened or not.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You already said that you were NOT harmed. No harm = zero recovery in personal injury litigation. So, why do you want to go through the time and expense of ordering chemical analysis of your medicine? What am I missing?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.