Aspen, CO asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Colorado

Q: My son was responding to a call he received from his girl friend needing a ride from a grocery store.

The girl had been arguing with her father and did not want to go home. They arrived at my son's and I's house and were greeted by police. He was charged with harboring a minor. He had just turned 18 three months earlier. They knew each other from high school. The police messed up his name on the summons, combining my name and my sons. The DA is offering him a plea deal which includes fines and community service. What should he do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas T. Cohen
Douglas T. Cohen
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: sorry your son is going through this. However, to assess the case and whether the plea offer is reasonable, it would be best to retain an attorney to look at the police reports and all the facts and do further investigation if necessary in order to better negotiate with the DA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.