Pompano Beach, FL asked in Criminal Law for Iowa

Q: Hello. If someone can get this message. Can you tell me if possible to get a pro bonus lawyer to represent someone

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: It is possible (but unlikely) that an attorney will offer pro bono representation in the sort of case you're describing.  You are always free to call around and ask, but bear in mind that you are essentially asking someone to pay to work for you. Time that lawyers spend working pro bono is time that they spend accumulating expenses that aren't being paid for by a client.  Gotta pay the internet bill and the Westlaw bill (etc.) whether or not the client pays for the time the lawyer spends using those services.

The defendant in the case you're describing can apply for an attorney at public expense if he can't afford to hire a lawyer.  Here is a link to a financial affidavit he can fill out and submit to the court in support of his request:


If the defendant is indigent, the Court will appoint the public defender's office to represent him. If the public defender's office has a conflict or is too busy, he may instead be appointed either a lawyer with the juvenile public defender's office or a private attorney who contracts with the State Public Defender's Office.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.