Kenner, LA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: If I, the father, am remarried and have another child, will that make my child support amount decrease?

I have a 14 year old son with my ex-wife, to whom I pay child support. We have 50/50 custody and time with him. I am remarried and have another child, 1 yr old. Because of another dependent in my household, could the amount of child support decrease? Also, my son’s mother hasn’t paid rent or utilities for a few years (living with her parents), got a new job with a $17000 raise, and filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Ex wife's income will get you a decrease. One year old will not get you a decrease.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.