Dayton, OH asked in Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: MO speeding ticket not updated in since more than a year. How long it stays active before it gets canceled?

I have got a speeding ticket on April 2020 and was ready to pay for it as soon as it shows up on But it's been more than a year and the status stays "Case is still with PA". How long should I wait before it gets updated?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Eureka, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The statute of limitations in Missouri for misdemeanors is 1 year. That means the Prosecuting Attorney has up to 1 year from the date of the incident to file the charge against you. If it says "Case is still with PA" that means the Prosecutor has filed the charge but the court clerk has not set a court date yet.

In some courts in Missouri (in my experience, St. Louis County Circuit Court), I have seen some tickets take up to 1 year before they appear on Casenet. Usually the Prosecutor has filed the charge long ago (within 2-3 months of the date of the incident), but it takes several more months for the court staff to file the ticket. Once the ticket is filed, the court clerk will set the case on a docket and set a court date. The court has to notify you of the court date. However, you are smart to check casenet because sometimes the court sends the notice of court date to the wrong address.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.