Bloomington, IN asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Indiana

Q: I have a support order in Indiana but ex lives in new state of Georgia, how do I know which state she filed in?

I have a support order in place in Indiana, and up to date on support payments. The court also granted parenting time, but the judge said it may be difficult to enforce because the children live Georgia with their mother. Paternity affidavits were completed and signed by both myself and their mother, they have my last name and paternity has never been questioned. She refuses to allow visitation outside of me making a trip to Georgia with my parents. The kids are 8, 3, and 2.

1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: If your support order is out of Indiana, then it likely contains the custody provisions as well. You can check with the court clerk to see if the case is still based in Indiana. You can bring an action in Indiana to enforce your parenting time. However, keep in mind that it may be difficult to enforce, as the judge told you, and the case could end up being moved to Georgia since the mother and children live there. It might be a good idea for you to speak with an experienced family law attorney to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.