Whitmore Lake, MI asked in Juvenile Law for Michigan

Q: My 15yr old granddaughter and her 4 younger siblings were removed .put in separate homes parents havent contacted cps

The fifteen year old and her siblings are extremely close they are placed in 3 homes 3 different counties . She wants to see her siblings and she is told because her parents haven't contacted cps she can not. She has about 8 months till she turns 16 and would like to make steps toward emancipation. Can she be represented on her own behalf to arrange family visits at least in these cps hearings ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: That's a tough situation. The siblings will be assigned an attorney - a lawyer guardian ad litem - who can help work through that issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.