Belton, MO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Missouri

Q: both parents deceased no paperwork for beneficiaries. What do we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lloyd M. Nolan
Lloyd M. Nolan
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The easy answer is call an attorney and spend an hour determining what your parents left in the way of assets, then follow the attorney's advice. That is the first step.

Often our parents leave a variety of types of assets - life insurance, retirement accounts, investment accounts, homes, real estate, bank accounts, etc. , etc. Some of these accounts and policies have named beneficiaries and it may be no more involved than filling out some forms, providing idenification, and a certified copy of a death certificate. Other assets may have been held only in the deceased person's name with no predetermined beneficiary. In those instances, some sort of probate court action will be required. Missouri has a Small Estate procedure available wherw the assets are less than $40,000.00. A "small estate" can generally be wrapped up in about 90 days. A "full" probate estate is required for larger estates and typically if real estate is involved. A full probate estate will usually take at least a year to administer, and gives notice and allows creditors time to file claims. In St. Louis County you will need to have an attorney for a probate court proceeding. You have one year from the date of the deceased person's death to open a probate estate, so you do not want to delay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.