Detroit, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: Will I be charged for child support since my girlfriend and I cannot afford to get married yet and she’s on Medicaid??

My girlfriend is on Medicaid in Michigan and we are about to have our first baby. I just graduated college and am looking for a full-time job. In the meantime while we save up for a place of our own we are staying with her parents. I read that the state of michigan charges the father some amount of child support if the mother’s medical expenses were covered by medicaid. I’m scared of getting charged a ton of money for this and am curious if anyone can provide more info on the matter. We plan to get married at some point but we’re trying to save all of our money for the baby. Will I be charged child support even though we are together? Should I change my address through the secretary of state so the state knows we are living together? Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Yes, if Medicaid pays for the birth expenses, you will get a bill at some point. You may want to rethink holding off on marriage if your girlfriend is the person you intend to marry at some point any way. It may be cheaper for you in the long run to marry now. You also want to be sure your girlfriend has properly disclosed the fact that you reside together to DHS, including your income. Far too often, people end up with welfare fraud charges when it's discovered someone else is residing in the household - doesn't matter if you are married or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.