Kingsport, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Do I need a KY or TN lawyer? I live in TN. Dad lives in KY.

We have joint legal and physical custody. But he has been primary physical parent for the last year. There is a pending legal case (charges filed today) against my daughters dad for child abuse/neglect in KY. CPS has hinted there’s a possibility she could be returned to his care unsupervised if he follows the safety plan. I’m not comfortable with that in any way and im going to file for full custody OR where he can only have supervised visits to keep my daughter safe. I need to know if I can hire an attorney in my town or since her primary residence has been in KY for a year and the case is there, do I need to hire a KY attorney? Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: There appears to be no Tennessee jurisdiction. Hire a KY lawyer for a Ky Case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.