Detroit, MI asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Michigan

Q: I won a small claims judgment, for 6096.00 in Inkster MI, against a apartment management corp, but unable to collect.

I have garnished their bank account … it was $1.11 in it. Then I had a court order for the Wayne county sheriff seize property but this has not been successful either. How can I collect my judgment from someone or entity that refuses to cooperate?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You've asked the $64,000 question. You may have what can be called a judgment proof debtor. You have right now a piece of paper saying someone legally owes you money; that paper is just - a piece of paper - unless and until you can legally collect.

All you can really do is keep trying what you've already done. But it sounds like the debtor has been through this before or is otherwise hip to the game. You might not ever find anything in their name for anyone to take.

One thing you possibly could try is file a tax lien with the state treasury. But if they don't file taxes or get a refund, you're not going to get anything from that either.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.