Marshalltown, IA asked in Personal Injury for Iowa

Q: I fell down on someone's property and was wondering if I could take them to court

The sidewalk leading to the apartment building was raised up and my toe caught it. I busted my mouth open, broke my finger that I now have had surgery and pins put In, I can't work and I can't afford the medical bills

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry about your fall and the resulting injuries. An Iowa attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. It's possible you have a case, but it could depend on the circumstances of the fall. You describe a raised sidewalk, and if that amounts to a serious enough defect, that could be significant. No one could say "yes," you have a case, or "no," you don't have a case without investigating the circumstances of your fall, the sidewalk, and possibly obtaining the opinion of an expert about the sidewalk (maybe a civil engineer). You could reach out to attorneys in your area to discuss. Most attorneys who handle these types of cases offer free initial consults, and hopefully they could help identify some options for you in terms of covering your medical bills. Good luck for a healthy recovery

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.