Littleton, CO asked in Divorce, Family Law and Collections for Colorado

Q: How to get my name off a car I cosigned on.

I cosigned for an ex partner, the relationship was abusive and I no longer have any contact with her at all. She has since missed 23 payments on that car and is still affecting my life. How do I go about getting my name off of the car and not hurting my credit anymore than it is already hurt?

2 Lawyer Answers
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You can not get your name off the loan without permission of the lender-which will not ever agree to that. You might want to contact the lender to see if they have repossessed the car. Also you should contact the other party to see if she would agree to sell the car in order to pay off the loan.

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you are married, you can file for dissolution and property settlement. If not, when you co-signed, you agreed to pay if she did not. Absent her consent to refinance in her own name, you are legally obligated to pay if she does not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.