Long Branch, NJ asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Is it possible to recover damages in Florida caused by the non-payment of family court ordered support?

Already been to court for enforcement. No action by court was taken. A partial ruling granting but also denying any action.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tami Lane Augen
Tami Lane Augen
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It would depend on what types of damages you are seeking. For example, the costs and fees of an attempt to enforce can be recovered/awarded by the court. However, at this point, you indicate that you have already been to court. If you are within the time period to seek a rehearing or reconsideration, you may want to discuss that with an attorney or, perhaps, discuss an appeal with an attorney. If the court has already held a hearing and made a decision, then you are limited in what you can attempt to do if you have gone past the time frame to appeal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.