Washington, DC asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania

Q: What is the legal statue on filming a minor at a public park in Pennsylvania with out parental consent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan L Hyde
Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Simply video taping in a public place, even a minor, is not in and of itself a crime or cause of action. Consent or permission would not be required. However, if the video tape were being used for some illicit purpose, sexual gratification, or was taken in a place where the person who had a reasonable expectation of privacy it may require additional analysis.

There is additional analysis required for whether there are rights to the value of the images, which is why many entities have you sign a waiver so they can use the images in marketing. Additionally, if they are being used for editorial or newspaper content permission is not generally required.

If your question is more specific, consult with an attorney who specializes in privacy rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.