Oak Creek, WI asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: Could we be granted shared legal custody of our 6 year old granddaughter if we go to court.

My husband and I have been caring for our 6 yr old granddaughter (living with us) 5 days a week for most of her life. Mother has sole custody. She has signed a medical consent form so that we take care of all her doctor appointments. We are her paternal grandparents.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: The Family Court Code does not provide for shared physical placement of non parents. If the parents would be found to be unfit, you could petition for guardianship. However, for a third party such as a grandparent to be awarded placement, not visitation, there would need to be a referral to the Department of Human Services or some other agency if the parents are unable to care for the children. It is a tough burden to meet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.