Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Colorado: if cops detained me, took my 3 smartphones & over $1000, never arrested or charged me can I get my stuff back

Last December they detained me because I had a hotel room with a friend who (ee later discovered) was being investigated on a 10+ count indictment. He was arrested earlier that day, I found out,and charged with DF 1(drug felony). I told cops whatever was in the room was mine. They had warrants for the hotel room and for storage units we both had at a nearby facility. Cops gathered roughly 3 grams of meth from the room and more from my storage. They told me they would keep my money & phones unless I "cooperated" with them. Otherwise I would be charged with a drug felony. If course, I didn't cooperate, but I have yet to be charged with anything. Given the fact that they COULD still charge me,... Someone told me they must charge me within 6 months or return my $ and property to me. Is that a real deadline? How do I get my things back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Philip M Smith
Philip M Smith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: When the investigation is completed, they will tell you, is when you can get your things. That will be after charges are filed and the case prosecuted. You can call the detective that is assigned the case. Sometimes they will be honest about the plans for filing with the DA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.