Kingsport, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: My landlord notified me he is selling his properties to retire, can he make us leave or can I take it to court?

There is a clause in our 3 year lease that’s titled “Vacating Upon Termination” and it states “Tenant agrees upon expiration of the term of this lease or upon early termination of the lease for any cause tenant will at once peacefully surrender the leased premises etc.” My question is if I’m not violating any other clauses in our contract and our rent is paid, can he make us leave? There is not any houses available in our area, presumably because of the rental freeze. It’s upsetting to me because I asked to sign a 2 year lease but the landlord insisted on a 3 year lease. Is there any recourse at all here? We have children, one special needs, no living family, no time to make friends, no other resources or alternatives than being homeless. This is all so unexpected so any help would be appreciated!

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The answer will depend on the language of your lease. If you have a three year lease- without any provision related to termination prior to this then you have a 3 year lease. The language you provided doesn't sound like enough to allow for an early termination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.