Greenwell Springs, LA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: I live in Louisiana and my child is 11 yrs old as of now. Her biological father did not pay child support from

July 2014-Dec 2019 at $711 a month. ($46,926 in arrears) The state now is garnishing his paycheck for his current monthly amount though how do I get the arrears owed? He has 4 daughters w/ 4 different mothers. The oldest has aged out since the child support was finalized by judge in 2012. He is married to the 4th daughters mother so no child support. I no longer work due to accident i had in 2014. What should i do to collect arrears and should I get his child support evaluated?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need to get an executory judgment for the full amount of arrears. Then file that against him with the Clerk of Court as a personal lien. Then renew it every 10 years. Your attorney can also do a judgment debtor rule.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.