Atlanta, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Will changing a child’s name that I don’t have a relationship with to his step fathers last name put me on child support

A child that is presumed mine from when I was 14 that I have no relationship with mother and stepfather are moving to another country she has consented to change his last name to theirs but wants me to petition the court since she will be moving soon will this put me on child support we have a notarized document agreeing to no child support on her end and no contact to the child on my end

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Is the mother asking you to legitimize the child? Is she asking you to consent to the name change? Usually the person wanting the thing done is the person who would be filing the paperwork with the Court. We would be happy to discuss the issue further with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.