Bethpage, TN asked in Military Law for Tennessee

Q: Discharged from the army. RE4 code/General under honorable conditions

I was kicked out in 2017. I Have tried everything to maintain a job. however due to the way my head works finding a job that fills the gap of wanting to be apart of group that stops bad people from doing bad things to good people is impossible for me. can’t be a cop, cia, fbi, or a contractor. I have desperately tried to find something that makes me happy as a civilian. is there even a fraction of a chance I can get back into the army or even Marines.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Liebenguth
Jeffrey Liebenguth
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Honolulu, HI

A: There is always some chance, but how much of a chance really depends on the totality of the circumstances in your case, including the reason for your separation. In order for your RE4 code to be changed, you generally first have to petition for your discharge (general under honorable conditions) to be upgraded. If it is upgraded by the discharge review board (DRB), they can then determine whether your RE code should also be changed. Here, you would most likely be hoping for an upgrade to an RE3A code--meaning you could get a waiver to reenlist.

You should speak to an experienced military attorney so you can describe all of the circumstances (not a good idea to do on a public forum) and have them give you a straightforward assessment of your case.

Hope that helps.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.