Broomfield, CO asked in Estate Planning for Colorado

Q: Can my husband try to fight me to get half a house if I plan to but it? We don't share any accts. leave abusive marriage


I have been planning to leave an emotional and verbally abusive marriage. I am making a safe plan to leave. I got a job and have been pre-approved to buy a home. Will my husband tried to fight for the house if he finds outs? I am sincerely doing this for my safety and my kids. We don't have anything shared. He has his own accounts as I have my own. We don't have anything to split as we kept things separately. No kids together. Can the divorce process be fast once I filed? I am looking for someone who can do the paperwork. I just need to know my rights. I don't want anything from him just to be in peace.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. In your situation, if you would like to purchase a home before the dissolution is final, it may be best to file for legal separation or wait until after a dissolution to purchase the property. Anything that you purchase after a decree of legal separation is yours. However, if you purchase the home during the marriage, it is marital property. However, there is no guarantee that a decree of legal separation would be granted before a decree of dissolution would be. The fastest way to complete the dissolution process is to reach a separation agreement that can be filed with the court to issue as an order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.