Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: How soon after a case closure for CHIPS can the party file a motion to change placement?

My fiancé has had his children in his custody since June of 2019. The CHIPS case final order was filed at the end of 2020. He has full placement with the mother receiving one supervised visitation a month. She recently filed a motion to change placement. How often can these motions be filed? Is she in contempt for not updating her address? Can he address his concerns about her relationship status?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: The question is whether the final Order was for a continuing CHIPS Order, or whether Children's Court has dismissed the CHIPS action. Children's Court Orders take priority over Family Court Orders. If she filed a Motion to Modify Placement in Children's Court, the Children's Court will determine placement. There is no limit to the number of times she can file a Motion. If she is filing Motions to Modify while there is still a CHIPS Order with conditions to meet, the Family Court can only enter placement Orders consistent with the Children's Court Orders. He can always raise the issues regarding not updating her address and her relationship status. He will need to prove that her relationship status is relevant to the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.