Minneapolis, MN asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts and Tax Law for Minnesota

Q: is my money exempt from levy?

a levy was filed on my husband by a CC company in Dakota county. There was $2880.00 frozen in our account because of it. My husband is currently in the Feds at FCI Gilmer in WV. He has been there for over 1 year. The judgement is for debt that was incurred before we were married or even knew each other, and the debt is 10 years old. I am on my own financially now and they just took my next 2 months of mortgage. Can they do that? Am I eligible for an exemption? How do I go about filing that? there are some other circumstances that can be discussed in person if necessary.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Open a. Ew account only in your name to protect yourself. If you can show that the money in this account that was seized came from your earnings, you should be able to recover it. You need to move fast as there are time limitations on filing such objections. I recommend you hire a lawyer to help you with it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.