Denham Springs, LA asked in Family Law and Adoption for Louisiana

Q: Bio dad out of picture since aug of 2019 husband wants to adopt

My daughter is about to be 3 and has not seen real father since she was 1, real dad did not sign birth cert and has a history of violence, beat his dad up, and abused me and ex wife also has a long history of drug abuse having an overdose in 2019 where he was on life support for 3 days. He disappeared to Florida and he has tried to contact me 2x since aug of 2019. I have multiple messages of threats; I have police reports and we have a dhr case where my oldest daughter claims he tried to touch her inappropriately. My husband has been in her life since she was 10 months old. She calls him daddy and doesn’t know better. Can I get his rights involuntary terminated and my husband adopt? How hard would it be?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Yes, hire an adoption attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.