Queens, NY asked in Education Law for New York

Q: An allegation of Academic Integrity made against me. What should I do?

I'm a student at a CUNY college and during this Spring semester I took 5 classes and most, if not all, had math-related topics. I was able to manage keeping a good grades for all but one class, Linear Algebra. I had a decent grade on my first exam, I studied for the second midterm, which was based on what we have done in the homework which I used as basis for studying and I even went to her office hours. but All the confidence I had built completely left me when I saw the exam, some questions were extremely long and the others were much more complicated than the the homework exercises. I believed it to be impossible to finish in 90 minutes. Consequently out of distress and I asked a peer how to do one of the questions. I am not proud of what I did, and I hate myself or doing such. I received a 0 on the exam and I decided to withdraw from the course because I knew I wouldn't be able to pass the class with a C. 2 weeks later I was reported.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This is a serious matter. Having admitted to cheating, you have few options. You must not admit to anything again, and find a way out of this that does lead to expulsion.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.