Little Rock, AR asked in Domestic Violence for Arkansas

Q: Can a domestic battery charge be dropped ?

Me and my boyfriend got into a heated argument one night and i was in the closet getting clothes for my younger son. My boyfriend was talking to me asking me why was i getting my son clothes. He walked up to me and grabbed my arm to pull me out the closet to look at him and i tripped and we both fell. Bc of the fall I bit my lip he never touched me besides trying to get my attention but i did kindof slap his arm when we got up. I was so furious that i called the police and reported as domestic violence but i actually dont understand the serverity of domestic violence. Now they have put us both with 3rd degree battery for him and 3rd degree assault for me. But it wasnt anything extent to be like that i was just mad and called the police and said domestic violence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua W. Bugeja
Joshua W. Bugeja
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Fort Smith, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: It is entirely possible that the case(s) will be dropped (referred to by the legal term "nole prossed"). This often occurs when the alleged victim is uncooperative, there is a "mutual combat" situation, and/or other factors are considered (such as a medical diagnosis which limits an individual's ability to fully control their actions, such as Alzheimer's with combative manifestations). Many prosecutors will consider taking the case "under advisement" for a certain period of time prior to doing so (such as 90 days/6 months/etc.) and may have certain requirements including no additional charges being filed in that time period and/or completion of a Domestic Violence Intervention Program (often referred to as "DVIP"). Obviously, that all is very specific to each individual case. A Defendant with extensive prior criminal history and/or violent history is less likely to get that treatment than others and the individual prosecutor(s), judge(s), and defense legal counsel involved all can make that outcome possible or completely inaccessible.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.