North Little Rock, AR asked in Adoption for Arkansas

Q: So my children’s father has two other kids that have been adopted out in the state of Arkansas. We have two ourselves.

I was informed that if we were to get married that the kids could legally become mines if we go through the adoption process . Can you tell me how that works

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua W. Bugeja
Joshua W. Bugeja
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Fort Smith, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Your question is unclear. Arkansas has the Revised Uniform Adoption Act and you should start by looking there. Arkansas Code Annotated § 9-9-215 fully explains the "effect of decree of adoption."

Specifically, A.C.A. § 9-9-215(a)(1) states in part that, "Except with respect to a spouse of the petitioner and relatives of the spouse, to relieve the biological parents of the adopted individual of all parental rights and responsibilities, and to terminate all legal relationships between the adopted individual and his or her biological relatives, including his or her biological parents, so that the adopted individual thereafter is a stranger to his or her former relatives for all purposes. This includes inheritance and the interpretation or construction of documents, statutes, and instruments, whether executed before or after the adoption is decreed, which do not expressly include the individual by name or by some designation not based on a parent and child or blood relationship."

Without knowing more specifics, it is impossible to say whether or not your husband can restore his parental rights. Technically, he could re-adopt the children or, if they were adopted out through a DHS case, it is possible for his parental rights to be reinstated under A.C.A § 9-27-370, provided that the court has resumed services under A.C.A. § 9-27-369. Obviously, this can be a very complicated process and is incredibly fact specific so has to be addressed on a case by case basis. I would meet with an attorney ASAP to try and evaluate your case in more detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.