Gorham, ME asked in Divorce for Maine

Q: I was divorced in August of 2000 after 24 years of marriage. I have been paying spousal support since then.

We were married and divorced in Maine.

I am now 75 years old and retired with reduced income. Will the State of Maine law allow me discontinue the spousal support payment. If so, what steps do I need to take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Guillory
Robert Guillory

A: Yes you can ask the court to lower or eliminate the spousal support ordered. You need to file a motion to amend the divorce judgment to lower or eliminate the spousal support. in order to file such a motion it is important to spell out the substantial change in circumstances from the judgment creating the spousal support to today. Certainly retirement and lower income for you is a substantial change which may very likely convince the court to change the order. A court can make the change retroactive to when you file the motion so i would not delay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.