Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Minnesota

Q: My ex and I were never married and we both want to do 50/50 with our two kids.

She has them on her medical insurance and I pay the daycare. We are still currently living together but I’m looking at moving out but in the same town so that the convenience for her if she needs help with anything and for the kids. I just want to know how we’d go about making an agreement or what kind of form would we have to do since we weren’t married and I’d like to kind of get an idea of what my child support payment would be so I can get an idea of what I can afford to rent because I currently pay $1500 a month in daycare and if I were to have to pay more than that which I fear I will the I don’t know if I could afford to live.

1 Lawyer Answer
Corwin Kruse
Corwin Kruse
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You can jointly petition the court to establish custody, parenting time, and child support. If paternity has not been adjudicated, you need to include that in your petition.

Daycare is one element of child support, as is insurance, and would be divided between you. You can get a presumptive number by going to the Minnesota Child Support Calculator. https://childsupportcalculator.dhs.state.mn.us/

See also krusefamilylaw.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.