Leesburg, FL asked in Car Accidents for Florida

Q: the guy is asking for a jury.

it also states that the guy had disfigurement and will now be disabled. do i need to protect my proerty

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I'm assuming from your question that you have already confirmed with your insurance company that you have no bodily liability coverage. Had you purchased such coverage, the insurance company would have to provide you with an attorney at no cost to you. If you did not purchase such coverage, the first thing you must do is to schedule a consultation with an attorney. There is no way for you to obtain the advice you need about this situation by asking questions on-line. Whether you need to protect your property depends on a variety of factors, but the first step before reaching that issue is whether there is a way to protect you without the case ever getting to the stage of a money judgment being entered against you, which is what triggers potential threats to your property.

Also, if you think you need to protect your property, there are certain things that a layman, without consulting an attorney, might do that will get the layman in trouble under the Florida Fraudulent Transfer Act, which enables certain transfers of property to be voided by a judgment creditor where the judgment debtor, or POTENTIAL judgment debtor, is trying to protect his/her property due to the judgment or potential judgment.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: It sounds like you have been sued.

Note there is a date to respond by.

If you have insurance for the time of the crash, you need to get with that insurance company, find out the name and contact info for the person handling that claim. If one hasn't been assigned ask them to assign one. They will get you an attorney but I suggest to make sure you need to make a couple of copies of the document you were served with, send one of them first by fax, and also by mail, certified return receipt for the address you insurance company gave you.

That attorney can give you further adivice, but this is what you paid insurance for.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.