Brownsville, PA asked in Adoption and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: sons father is not listed on his birth certificate.married and my husband wants to adopt him. don't know who the dad is

My son's father is not listed on his birth certificate and my husband wants to adopt my son. I don't know who the father of my son actually is. What do i do to get him to adopt my son?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You will need to hire an attorney, but it seems that what you would do is file a petition to extinguish the father's rights. The court will order that there be a publication in the legal notices, etc.

While it might be possible to get a court to treat your husband as a step parent, without terminating the rights, it runs the risk of someone popping up, saying they are the dad, and then .......whereas if the unknowns rights are terminated, the law says they had their chance.

This isn't a d.i.y. process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.