Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Missouri

Q: Can I stay with a friend legally, while I'm trying to get myself emancipated.

I'm 16 and I'm currently trying to get myself emancipated without my dad's knowledge. My parents are divorced and my mom has agreed to give up her rights, but my dad is trying to keep us trapped here. He is a very unfit parent and let's his girlfriend control everything and they bully us constantly.

1 Lawyer Answer
Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: To be eligible for emancipation in Missouri, you need to be able to support yourself financially and have a place of your own. That doesn't mean you cannot have roommates or live elsewhere, but you would have to show the court that you would be able to afford a home and have an income, etc. Also, parental consent can make these cases move much more quickly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.