Lumberton, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: Can i do something about my parents arrears?

I'm 29. Never lived with either of my parents, basically. They are taking money out of my mom's unemployment and from her last two employers. She signed his off years ago and he was SUPPOSED to do the same when he got out of jail but didn't. Is there a way i can receive that money being I've been on my own since 13. Ive even been homeless twice and neither of them helped. Well, my mom did when she could or if I asked I never tell her when im not doing good but my dad doesnt give a crap... About me or my 5 brothers and sisters lol (different mommas) if i can't receive it myself, can yall stop taking money from my momma and adding on..?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If the child support is just to pay the state back for your medicaid premium for 18 years, then no, you can't stop it or get it.

If the child support goes to your Dad for arrears, then no you can't stop it or get it. If the child support goes to your Dad for ongoing child support, then your mother can hire a lawyer to stop it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.