Brooklyn, NY asked in Probate for New York

Q: My ex-husband died we bought the house together save money how can I get my money back

Used both money but everything is my husband's name he passed away my money paid down payment the house we bought deed in his name now our killer kid trying to sell it .I m 71yr panic attack fears sleep less

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You can try to make a claim in his probate case but it is going to be an uphill battle because that claim should have already been resolved in the divorce. An attorney needs to review all of the facts plus your divorce decree to help you determine whether it would be worthwhile for you to pursue. This work is beyond what is normally covered in a free initial consultation so do expect to pay for the analysis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.