Atlanta, GA asked in Traffic Tickets for Tennessee

Q: I got was given a ticket for speeding, going 74mph in a 45mph work zone. What should I do?

The officer who pulled me over didn't state on the ticket that it was reckless, but I'm afraid I'll be charged as such. This is my first ticket ever but I'm afraid I'll be subject to jail time. Is hiring an attorney my best bet?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Apparently you handled yourself well when the stop occurred. The Citation can be amended, but I doubt it will be anything worse than the 29 MPH over. That Violation will add 5 points to your MVR, so you must be careful for the next year. An attorney might help, especially as nervous as you are, and some type of Diversion may be possible. Bring cash that day to pay everything off as soon as you leave the Courtroom.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.