Pensacola, FL asked in Civil Rights and Family Law for Florida

Q: I need help I believe my civil rights have been violated by CPS

Hi my name is and I need some help CPS took my children without conducting a proper investigation...and had then split up and placed with family members..but when I ask about a case plan and when can I see them says I dont have a case plan and can't even get a chance to regaincustody...what can I do in this situation

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The State is required to give you due process with a plan to determine if you may regain custody. All you need to do to make sure you are receiving the process is that is due is to have an attorney represent you. If you can afford a private attorney, hire one NOW - search for attorneys handling juvenile dependency cases. If you can't afford a private attorney (which would cost thousands of dollars), the Court must appoint an attorney to represent you at no charge.

Tami Lane Augen
Tami Lane Augen
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have the right to have an attorney provided to you in the dependency case. You should consider setting up a time to meet with him or her to discuss this matter and obtain all of the answers that you need and have him or her take the time to explain what is going on. You do have the right to obtain a private attorney and can do that if you do not believe that the appointed counsel is providing you with the representation or information that you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.