Saint Louis, MO asked in Uncategorized for Missouri

Q: Changing my name after divorce without it being on the divorce decree. How much of a headache?

My husband and I recently got divorced after being separated for 15 years. He did the paperwork without me and did not include me changing my name back in the decree. So as it stands, it seems I have to go to court to get my name changed back. I have a two-part question: 1. How much of a hassle is this? 2. Would it be possible to change my name back to my birth name, if that is not what is on my birth certificate? My parents married when I was 5 and changed my last name legally. I would prefer to go back to my birth name, rather than what is on my birth certificate if it is possible. It has been difficult to find information on this because of the unique situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It's a hassle, but definitely doable. On the name-change forms, much of it just asks what you're wanting it changed to. They often won't question the name choice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.