Newark, NJ asked in Juvenile Law for New Jersey

Q: My son is 12 and my daughter was 5 at the time if found guilty or plea guilty is jail time mandatory?

My son was the one did this he has 2 changes 2c:14-2b and 2c244a1

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amber Forrester
Amber Forrester
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Trenton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The offenses you’ve cited are 2nd and 3rd degree, respectively, and in juvenile court a 2nd degree carries as much as 3 years of incarceration and a 3rd degree carries as much as 2 years of incarceration. Because of his age, he will not be waived to adult court despite how serious the charges are, but he is exposed to the type of incarceration that would be served at the NJ Training School in Jamesburg (which is the equivalent of a prison sentence for an adult offender. There may be a possibility of a probationary sentence, and a significant concern would be attempting to negotiate a resolution that doesn’t require your son to register as a sex offender under Megan’s Law.

So to sum up, there are several variables that impact what the likely outcome will be for your son, and it’s definitely complicated enough to warrant having an experienced criminal/juvenile defense lawyer represent him in court. Obviously as parent to both children, your position is a particularly difficult one, and having an advocate for him specifically while you are trying to deal with the needs of both of them is important.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.