Parsons, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: What do I do as a pro se litigant when my opposing attorney won't serve me about an upcoming court date I'm a party to?

My ex mother in law has custody of my biological child and I still have all my rights. She is attempting to give custody back to my ex wife and I inadvertently found out the date.

I'm thinking I'll just show up and request a continuance based on the fact I wasn't served and request time to review what's been filed and draft a response.

As usual, the BAR was no help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denania Galloway
Denania Galloway
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Definitely show up to court and advise the judge that you were not served notice and that you need time to either hire a lawyer or file any answer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.