Parsons, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Follow up question. Is there anyway my opposing attorney could say I'm not a party to the case?

My XMIL has custody of my biological daughter. She transferring custody back to my x wife. They have a date court date for the transfer, but I have not been served anything. I have sent several emails to their attorney requesting service but she doesn't respond. My guess is she plans to say I'm not a party to the transfer and that's why she never served me.

Or else she plans to serve me a few days before so I don't have time to prepare.

What are some reasons she could say I'm not a party.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denania Galloway
Denania Galloway
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: There are no reasons unless your rights have been terminated in a previous proceeding. They can also allege that they have tried to find you but have been unable to. Just make sure you show up to court saying you dispute this matter if you want to dispute it. I also urge you to get an attorney to advise you of your rights.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.