Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: please see below

I have a house in NJ and a squatter living in there. I tried getting the squatter out but could not because of Covid laws. I sued in civil court and won a judgement of $14000 against the squatter.

When the court clerk called the squatter to make sure she got the court summons she told the court clerk that she never lived in the property. But she has been living there without since March of 2020. I have no lease with this woman.

The landlord tenant courts in NJ are closed for a while. The squatter has not paid the light or water bills since March 2020.

I'm struggling financially and was thinking of moving in my house even with this squatter in there hoping she'll move out.

Please advise. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The first thing that you should do is proceed to enforce collection of the judgment. The procedure involves utilizing the services of a Court Officer. You may wish to begin by either doing the necessary paper work yourself, retain a credit adjustment company, or retain the services of an attorney. NJ Courts frown upon self help. So avoid doing anything without receiving Court approval for eviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.