Amherst Junction, WI asked in Probate for Wisconsin

Q: My mother passed away and named my brother as representative. What happens if I don't consent to him?

I have no reason to believe that he will treat me fairly, In fact he has threatened me physically and wont let me in her house, yet he and my sisters have ransacked her house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: It sounds like your brother send you a Waiver and Consent for informal probate, to allow the Will to be admitted to probate and to consent to his appointment as Personal Representative under an informal administration. If you do not sign the Waiver and Consent, then he cannot be appointed as Personal Representative without a hearing. If you do not feel your brother will do a good job as Personal Representative, then you should not sign the Waiver and Consent and should seek your own legal counsel before proceeding.

Here is a link that explains the different types of probate.,all%20of%20the%20interested%20parties.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.