Marrero, LA asked in Estate Planning for Louisiana

Q: I have Durable Power of Attorney over a love one who is terminally ill. Does that allow me to sign off on lawsuit

paperwork which was settle.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: I am sorry to say that it is not possible to answer your question without reviewing the power of attorney instrument. It might or might not contain that authority.

Theodore David Vicknair Sr.
Theodore David Vicknair Sr.
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I agree with attorney Whitehurst. A power of attorney (mandate) can be exceedingly broad or exceedingly narrow. The Power of Attorney should specifically state if you can initiate a lawsuit on behalf of your loved one. If this is not clear, you risk the other side throwing up an "exception" for lack of procedural capacity. In other words, you risk the lawsuit being thrown out (at least temporarily), and wasting court costs and attorneys fees. If the POA does not give you authority, I would suggest looking at your prescriptive period first which is very important, and if you have enough time filing an interdiction proceeding on behalf of your loved one, followed by the lawsuit against the third party.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.