Denver, CO asked in Child Support and Family Law for Colorado

Q: My ex-husband and I would like to terminate child support and are filling out the form ourselves.

We have a special needs son that we agreed to support as long as he lives in one of our homes. However, child support is going to interfere with Medicaid/SSI (particularly SSI). If we list the reason to support termination as: it is in his best interest as it could interfere with benefits (Medicaid and SSI), will they deny it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Unfortunately no one can tell you what a court will decide. Child support is considered the right of the child and it is not likely that a court will deprive a child of support so that the child can qualify for public assistance. Additionally the state has an interest in obtaining child support so that the state does not have to fund the child's medical care. It is not likely that Child Support Enforcement will agree to a waiver for that reason.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.