Munford, AL asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: im 15 and i just had my mom is constantly starting fights over nothing what do i do to keep my daughter safe

today, she got angry because she was changing my daughters diaper and i took over and did it myself. she then started an argument because i did not want her to see my birth video and her reasoning was because she is my mother and she has that right. i do not want this around my child but i am 15 and i don’t know what to do. my mom will not let me leave. she is currently screaming curse words and cursing me in her room. i’m now worried my parents are going to get into an argument. can i take my daughter and leave to go to my grandparents? what can i legally do to keep my daughter away from this negativity?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kedra M. Gotel
Kedra M. Gotel pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I am saddened to hear that this type of disturbance is occurring in your home where peace should resound. Because you are a minor yourself there is not much you can do unless the situation turns violent and you and your daughter's life is in danger. You could also talk with your grandmother to see if she would be willing to seek temporary guardianship over you. Even if your grandmother desires to be your guardian you will still need your mother's approval. Conversely, you could begin the process of seeking to be emancipated from your parents. Contact an attorney to schedule a consultation to determine if emancipation is a route you should take. I wish you the best!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.